I decided I’d fit an LED to the front panel to indicate whether the internal 9v battery is on or off. This is because it is easy to forget to switch it off when shutting down the receiver, by shutting down the battery B supply, and so run the risk of depleting the battery unnecessarily.
Fortunately, there is provision for the LED, and the dropping resister, to be installed on the PCB. However, while soldering them in place, I did have to remove the earth connection that is soldered between the front panel and the PBB to remove the panel from the board so I could work on it. In so doing, I must have applied too much heat on the through-hole and it came adrift from the board. This had the effect of killing the receiver, something I discovered when I had completed the mod and turned the receiver on.
I heard nothing. It was dead.
Closer inspection revealed the problem. I soldered a jump lead to replace the damaged part.
A jumper lead was the easiest way to overcome a damaged through hole.
The final thing I had to do was to build an enclosure for the receiver. I decided wood would be the best, and easiest, to work with. It was a fairly straightforward task.
The basic enclosure looks good.
The final thing I had to do was to cut a hole in the top of the enclosure and fit a speaker. I had a 4″ 8 ohm speaker in my junk box so decided it would do fine. I also had some speaker mesh that I had saved when throwing out an old radio some time ago (I knew it would come in handy some day!). All it would take to make it fit was to use the circular piece of wood that I cut from the enclosure for the speaker and use that as a template to mould the metal mesh around.
The mesh with the wooden template and tin snips.
I mounted the template with mesh attached into my vice and began beating it to shape.
It was quite simple, really.
The speaker squeezed neatly into the hole, and the metal mesh fitted perfectly into the hole, from the top. The result I thought was most pleasing.
The speaker mesh in place.
I put everything back into place, connected up the power and switched on. Beautiful. I could pick up all sorts of stations in addition to Radio Australia. China comes through loud and clear, as does a range of others that I have yet to identify. I listen to this little receiver all the time now and really enjoy it.
So that’s another project successfully completed.