The PTT circuit is all about connecting the PTT and Keyer inputs up to the SDR software via a serial interface. However, the DB9 connector will be installed in a later part of the build. I will be using instead, a USB I2C interface as both my Surface Pro 4 and my Compaq laptop, which runs Arch Linux, don’t have serial ports.
This stage involved installing four caps, 12 resisters, a diode, an RF choke and four transistors.
All appeared to go well until it was time to carry out some tests. Current tests proved spot on, and so did the initial voltage tests. Until it came time to prove that the transistors were turning on when voltage was applied to the PTT_IN connection.
What is supposed to happen is this: when 12V is supplied to PTT_IN, Q1 turns on, pulling R21 and PTT_IN to a low level. Q2 then turns on and I should be able to measure about 12V at S12V. This means the rig is transmitting.
I did not see this on my DMM. My reading was of the order of 0.02V.
So it was out with the schematic once more (I had become quite familiar with this piece of paper). I started by tracing the power supply to the transistors to see what was wrong and why Q2 wasn’t turning on. After much thought, I noticed that two vital resisters were missing on my PCB.
It was then that I decided to check if any other components were also missing. What I discovered was that I had omitted to solder in all the capacitors and all the resisters for this stage! No wonder Q2 wasn’t turning on.
Once this slight oversight had been corrected I ran through the test once more, with perfect results.
Next will be the RX Switching stage.