Today I activated my first summit. I think this aspect of amateur radio is going to be addictive!
The summit I chose to activate was Mt Ainslie in Canberra. I chose this as it isn’t too far from where I am staying as I would be relying on leg power to get there. Also, being close to the CBD I figured there would be a fair chance of making some contacts. Bearing in mind that four are needed for the activation to count, I didn’t want to waste a Sunday without results.
I needn’t have worried.
I started out by posting an entry on the SOTA web page announcing my intentions and the time I anticipated commencing operations.
The gear I would be taking included my Elecraft KX1, Buddistick antenna, headphones and a length of RG58 coax. I also packed in my Yaesu FT-250 for 2m work and my Jingtong for 70cm. All this fitted nicely into my backpack, but I would need to carry my camera tripod, upon which I mount the Buddistick, by hand as it wouldn’t fit into the backpack. A bottle of water and some lunch completed my kit.
I set out at 8:35am local time and after about 35 minutes arrived at the turn off to Mt Ainslie.
I arrived at my destination one hour fifteen minutes after leaving my QTH. That was some walk! Climbing to the summit took the best part of 45 minutes and was very tiring; I had to stop and rest no less than three times.
Once at the summit I located a nice quiet spot out of the way of people and set up my gear. It took a fair while to tune the Buddistick but I eventually achieved an SWR on 40m of 1.7:1, and 1.9:1 on 20m. Power levels were 1.5W for both bands as I had chosen to load six alkaline AA cells into the KX1.
At the advertised time I put out a CQ full of enthusiasm, but this soon began to fade as nobody replied. I tried both HF frequencies without luck, then tried the VHF and UHF frequencies, both of which were dead quiet.
Then the calls started.
For the next two hours I fielded calls from as far away as Victoria (VK3-land) which was most gratifying.
I was interested to note that of the eight stations I worked, only the first five were at 1.5W. The batteries faded pretty fast after that with 1W being all I could squeeze out of the rig. By the time I had made my 8th contact, battery power was down to 0.7W, which was too low for me to operate the rig’s internal ATU.
VHF and UHF saw no activity at all, so all that was left was for me to dismantle my station, pack up and begin the long walk back home.
As soon as I had cooled down, I fired up my computer and logged the contacts into the SOTA database. Mt Ainslie (VK1/AC-40), which is situated at grid square QF44NR, is worth 1 point, so I am on my way to Mountain Goat status!