John Moyle Field Day 2014

One of the aims of the John Moyle Field Day is to test your ability or readiness for portable operations. This is an even I like to take part in as it not only allows me to prepare for remote operations, it also guarantees contacts.

This year as always, I prepared my kit, made a check list and ensured I had thought of everything. My mode of operation would once again by CW only on the HF bands. My rig of choice was my Elecraft KX1 and my antenna my new Buddistick. My location would be up on Mt Coot-tha, which is not very far from my QTH.

This year I took the added precaution on including a few backup options, and boy was I glad I did. These included a long wire antenna, extra batteries and a multi-tool.

When I reached to top of Mt Coot-tha, I found an unattended BBQ area off the side of the road near the Channel 9 TV studios. Perfect. There was a nice table and bench seat provided too.

I unpacked my gear and started by assembling the Buddistick antenna. Bugger, I had left the all-important antenna mast and stand at home in my haste to get going. And worse still, it had the mounting plate still attached so I couldn’t make use of the small tripod that came with the Buddistick.

Thank goodness for the long wire antenna. I proceeded to cast the end of it up over a high branch of a nearby tree but the weight at the end of it twirled around the branch a few times causing the thing to become stuck. I wasn’t able to pull on it and raise the wire antenna up into the tree. There was now nothing for it but to cut the line loose and try again. Second time around was more successful.

The stand I made to keep the counterpoise off the ground.

The stand I made to keep the counterpoise off the ground.

The rest of the station deployed easily enough and I was able to get a 1.3:1 SWR reading using the new inbuilt antenna tuning unit in the KX1 on the 40m band. No such luck on 20m; 7:1 was the lowest I could obtain and there was no time to fiddle with reducing the length of the wire. I needed to make contacts and score points.

My operating conditions.

My operating conditions.

In total I operated for three hours and chalked up eight QSOs, mostly with VK2 stations. So considering I was only putting out a tad over two watts, I was more than satisfied. Oh, the new paddle worked fine too, even though I found it to flex a little too much for my liking on the enclosure, resulting in some errors in sending. But all in all, I was satisfied.

Listening for signals.

Listening for signals.

Now to wait for the results. At least I have learnt the lesson about being prepared and taking contingencies into account.



One thought on “John Moyle Field Day 2014

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s